Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The Pearl

September 10, 2013
Working my way further south through the Short North, I found myself at The Pearl, Cameron Mitchell's latest incarnation. It has gotten rave reviews, but my first experience there a few weeks ago for brunch did not meet such enthusiasm. Tonight was much better. http://www.thepearlcolumbus.com/

Arriving soon after 7, I was afraid I was in for a wait, but the friendly hosts showed me to the oyster bar, where I could order anything from the regular menu. The place had a pleasant din and was quite busy.

My server was very pleasant and helpful. After looking over the menu and remembering that much of what appeared to be vegetarian wasn't, I told her I was a veggie and she was quick to offer options and talk to the chef. This proved to be most fortuitous, as what came was very tasty.

Before this I ordered a Palm Belgian Pale Ale, and agreed it was the right drink for this warm evening. At 5.4% and $6, its "light caramel malt with bakery quality" was just the right pairing for my savory bowl of yumminess. Beer 4/5.

She described it as a vegetable medley, and it was a combination of sides pirated from other meat dishes. The receipt describes: arugula salad (not in attendance from what I could tell), black bean stew (also hiding somehow), kimchee fried rice (tasty white rice, but couldn't put my finger on the kimchee), roasted cauliflower (delicious), and broccoli salad (not listed on the receipt). There were also roasted red peppers, capers, and a savory Thousand-Island-esque sauce, which was superior to the standard dressing.

The bowl was just the right size: filling but every bite kept the flavor moving forward instead of fading into the background. The sides put together cost $15, a reasonable price. I give it a 4.5/5.

I give them top marks for being willing to work with me and producing a great custom-made dish.

A word of warning to vegetarians: the brunch fried potatoes are fried in a mixture of seafood and meat oils, so not strictly veggie. Same for the cheese curds, darn it. The dumplings sound vegetarian but are made with vegetable stock. And I think she said the broccoli salad is usually made with something non-veggie, but they made it special for me.

The setting is compelling: tile floors, marble bar, medium lighting and candles, japanese rice-paper-like walls in the back. I had hoped for open windows/walls onto High St., but it was a warm evening, so the AC actually felt pretty good.

And you get a milk bottle of water and a mason jar to drink out of. A nice visit!

Overall a 4/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment