Thursday, September 5, 2013

Fabian's

September 4, 2013
So, Fabian's has a short and humorous story. I went with Candy many years ago to check them out and we were seated, given menus and ordered beers. The server came back, and Candy ordered something from the menu. "Yeah, we're out of that". She ordered something else. "Um, we don't have that either." I ordered something they were also out of and finally settled on the hummus plate. In exasperation, Candy ordered the grilled cheese. The server wasn't sure they could swing that and got the cook. His answer? "Well, I could throw some bread and cheese in the oven, but I can't guarantee how it will turn out"...Wow, really? We would have walked out then if we weren't already quaffing our much-needed beers. The hummus was mediocre. I guess we should have heeded the sign written in black marker on a napkin and taped to the window "Cook wanted" You don't say?

Tonight was a better affair, but not by leagues. The bartender was my server as it was pretty slow. He was nice enough in a detached, "I don't want to cramp your space, man" kind of way. I ordered a Strongbow cider, looked over the menu, and settled on the veggie deep dish pizza, what this place advertises as their specialty. Unfortunately it was after 8 and Happy Hour was over. That would have save me a couple bucks on the beer and $5 on the small ($13) pizza. Twenty five minutes later it came out, hot and heavy. The cheese was cheesy and stretchy, the sauce fine, the veggies finely chopped. It was fine, but not great. Green peppers were fresh, onions almost invisible, mushrooms fresh, black olives canned. The crust was dry and substantial, not deep-fried. I'll give it a 3.5/5.


There was something called Javi's Tortilla which sounds interesting, so I may be back for that, but I don't anticipate coming back anytime soon.

The place is kind of like a Short North college hangout. Wood floors, wood booths and tables, some neon, a couple sports TVs, dimly lit, brick walls. http://www.fabianspizza.com/

Overall 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment